After School: Leaving for College


"Ray, are you coming?" My mother asked from downstairs.

I looked back at my empty room one last time. This had always been my sanctuary. When I came back home from a bad day of school, I could always find relief in my room. I had my computer with all my online friends and no one to disturb me.

Now my room was empty, everything I needed for college had been packed and was waiting in the car. The room looked so empty now, like I didn't live here anymore. My mother said I could always come back home if I didn't like living at the college, but looking at my room now made me realize it was time to move on.

I'd miss the familiar view and the calm of my home. From this point on I would be living in a college with hundreds of students at my own age, and I would be sharing a room with another guy and it wouldn't be just my place anymore. Would I still be able to find comfort in my room then?

"RAY, COME ON HONEY," my mother yelled for me.

Go Downstairs »