Mother picked me up from my school and we started driving home. For some reason it was raining again, apparently it always rained when she was driving me between college and home.
"What's wrong sweetie? Something is eating you up," she said and looked at me with concern.
"Nothing, it's nothing." I just replied blank. I didn't feel like talking about him. Nothing I said would make him like me. He was just born that way. He liked girls, not me. That was how it was.
"Come on, you can tell me. I've never seen you this devastated..." She tried again and I felt the tears build up inside of me.
"Mother... I... I love him and he doesn't love me back," I blurted out. I said it. It was how I felt. Since the minute we met I felt a special connection, but had I finally it only went one day.
"Ray..." She said with a long drawn-out sigh. "Sometimes you have to be prepared for people don't love you back. That's a part of love, getting hurt. But you have a life ahead of you, you need to keep moving forward."
"I know, but it's just so difficult... I mean he's always there," I told her with a heavy sigh. "Wait..." she said and looked like she remembered something. Then, she suddenly pulled over on the freeway.
"Is this Mark we're talking about? Your room mate?" She looked directly into my eyes. She could be so intimidating, Mark's dad had nothing on her. ".... Yeeees?"
"Okay Ray-ray, did you come clean?" She said with a completely different tone. She was lecturing me. What was going on?!
"Did you tell him that you were gay?" She stared me down and I panicked and nodded no. Then, she started the car and took the first turn to drive back to the college. "What, what are you doing? Why are we going back?"
"...You're going to spend the weekend at the college, end of discussion." She concluded as she drove me back. I was getting angry. I was looking forward to getting a break from Mark, I knew he was staying over the weekend and was probably using the opportunity for some alone time with his new girl in our room.
I couldn't believe it. She dropped me off at the college and drove back home. What was up with her? Why was she being so mean? I opened up to her and she dumped me at the college, wasn't I good enough of a son to her?
Oh well, it was raining and I was standing outside the college. I guess there was only one thing to do.
Go inside the college »
